Joseph Cemetery is an integral part of St. Joseph Parish. It is
a matter of respect for the deceased as well as our intention to
maintain the cemetery in a fitting manner. We want all families
and friends to be able to visit their loved ones knowing that
the cemetery grounds are well taken care of. It is a reflection
of the esteem and honor we hold for our former parishioners.
St. Joseph's Cemetery Association General Rules
1. The purchase of a cemetery lot gives the purchaser and his/her
descendants in the direct line the right to be buried in an unused
2. The purchaser acquires an easement to the land and not ownership.
3. Anyone who buys or has bought a lot should have received
an “Easement Form”, describing the exact location
of the lot and the number of grave sites included. It should
have the original purchaser’s name on it and it should
be signed by the pastor and/or the St. Joseph’s Cemetery
Representative. If you did not receive this document, you can
write to St. Joseph’s Cemetery Association, c/o Michael
Gorgen, Dodgeville, WI 53533 or the pastor.
4. The current cost: (as of 09/19/2010)
Grave space....................... $ 500.00 per grave space
Perpetual Care, which provides grave leveling and lawn care perpetually,
is included. This charge does not include maintenance of any
monument placed on the lot, the grave opening or grave closing
fees. Opening and closing fees are paid at the time of burial
and are based on the charge made to the cemetery for that work.
5. All cemeteries have regulations controlling the spacing,
placing and size of monuments. These regulations help protect
the purchaser from inferior monumentation or are created to simplify
The following rules apply:
- Perennial plantings and shrubs are not permitted. The six
inches of concrete around the monument are intended to eliminate
hand trimming and are to be kept free for lawn mower wheels.
- At least 42” must exist between above ground markers
- Single graves require ground flush markers to maintain enough
space for mowers between the above ground monuments.
- Above ground monuments must be at least 21” from right
and left lot lines.
- Monuments must be purchased from a legimate monument company,
whose sales personnel have and follow the regulations given in
a document called “ST. JOSEPH’S CEMETERY ASSOCIATION
GENERAL RULES”. This document is available from the parish.
- For your protection, make requests for exceptions to these
regulations to the Parish Council before you buy anything and
before any work is begun at the cemetery.